Sunday, 18 July 2010


Three days ago, I went to Bressay. I had to go to the car hire company in the morning because my car had a flat tire. Arrived at Bressay afternoon. I planned to visit Noss the next day so that I could spend the whole day. Next day, drove to the place where a small boat sails across the ocean between Bressay and Noss. I was amazed that I slept enough in that small car, it was too windy and rainy that I couldn't bother pitching the tent up. Anyway, as I reached the mini port, I found out that Noss isn't open. Due to the stormy weather. Decided to go back to the mainland and come back another day. Stayed at B&B that night.
17,July. The B&B I stayed at was super nice. They offered me a dinner and discount for another night! So, feeling good to have a place to come back for the night, I went out to explore the west part of Shetland. First five hours was not so unusual, walking through some fields, meeting very few people. The last ninety minutes or so was the most exciting part of the day, or the week.
I wasn't checking on time so not sure, but I started my walk around ten. And maybe around three I encountered this mysterious hill on my right side. For no real reason, I started climbing it. I thought it will be a short cut…wrong, but I didn't know at this point, I had no real map to follow, only a small one you can get at the information canter. I was hopping and climbing up the hillside trying not to step on too many sheep feces and avoiding to get wet from the small streams all over the place. Very near to the summit, there was another shallow stream, so I was crossing it like the others…it was not like the others, it was a swamp! I dropped into the swamp right up to my knees. It was like a quick sand but not so deadly. It didn't feel good but I was laughing for such an unusual event and the fact that my legs were covered in sheep poop and piss. So, not feeling too down, I started to finish my ascent. I reached the top and found out that it wasn't a short cut. The village was so far. But still thinking about the drop, I carried on. I knew a gull crying above my head but didn't pay any attention to it. But after a while I realized that they were gathering up. Maybe half a dozen of them above me. That point, I realized I was in their home. And then they started to glide really close me. Whoosh! There was one big black one kept gliding and gliding just a foot away from me. I could see he wasn't like other gulls, he really wanted me out. I learned that the bird's name was Skua and in the book it said they do the things they did to me, and very unusual but they sometimes attack people. After fighting with those birds, I got back to the B&B around five. I think it'll be one of the most memorable day in Shetland.
Today, I tried to go to Noss because of the fine weather, but it was too windy so it was closed again. Maybe someday…
I'm back to Lerwick hostel again. Maybe go to north part tomorrow. It's difficult to find a Wi-Fi area in Shetland.

picture: arctic tern

No comments:

Post a Comment